A Day In The Life Of Lyme

17/06/2014

I have decided that I have to start writing notes to myself about my daily struggles with Lyme Disease. I want to remember the details of my bad days and the range of symptoms that I suffer from. My memory is bad so the only way to do that is to write it down. When a symptom eases I second guess myself and assume that I was just over-reacting. I just assume that my suffering wasn’t as bad as it really was. I want to ensure that I stay committed to the Lyme Disease Awareness campaign even if I get better. So this is a way for me to document my struggles and make sure I never forget about my fight those who are still struggling.

The last few days and weeks, have been horrible. I usually wake up with acid in the back of my throat which means I don’t have much time to get to the toilet or a bucket before I throw up. If I’m lucky, I have time to take a fast acting nausea wafer. Even if that works, it doesn’t stop the stomach pain. My stomach muscles hurt from always contacting, and nothing helps stop that. I also wake up drenched in sweat. Every doctor I have seen knows I’m sick just by my constant fever and sweating. My body is trying hard to kill the bacteria with heat but it’s not working. This often turns into sweating with chills and severe shaking. The shaking also comes with large body jerks that feel like an electric current has been sent through my body. Then there is widespread body pain. The pain ranges widely including deep aching bone pain, throbbing muscle and tendon pain, and a burning skin sensation. There’s also headaches, teeth/jaw pain, painful muscle spasms and widespread weakness that leads to collapsing. Every part of my body is affected. My ears have ringing, my nose is overly sensitive to smell and my eyes are often too blurry to read. My whole body feels like it weighs a tonne and that my chest in particular has got bricks sitting on it, making it hard to breathe. Even if I can breathe enough, the feeling of suffocating, commonly known as air hunger, is really distressing.
The physical symptoms only scratch the surface on bad days. I used to consider myself to be smart but now I can barely put a sentence together. I forget even the most basic words and often don’t pronounce things correctly even though I know how to. Thinking alone, is extremely hard. All thoughts and memories feel like they’re behind a thick fog and the harder I try to get to them, the further away they get.
Then there’s the emotional symptoms. My bad days consist of cycling through depression, anxiety and irritability. The hardest part is that I’m aware that I don’t feel like myself but I can’t change the feelings and reactions to people. When I’m like this I try to stay off social media because I can accidentally get angry at people, but most of my support is online, so it can be a catch 22.

When people read about what I go through, I often have people judgementally saying “why do you paint your nails then?” or “why do you foster dogs then?” The answer to that is simple. I still deserve to enjoy life and those are the things that I get enjoyment from. I have had so many things taken away from me so I want to hold on to these, even if my energy is depleted by doing so. Fostering also gives me purpose and without that I can feel as though I have nothing to live for. Purpose and hope are what get me though the hard times.
I hope you gain some insight into my life from these sort or posts. Just be mindful that I don’t want pity, I just want understanding and support. I have tried to remember most of what I go through on bad days but I know I have forgotten things. I have also left out some symptoms I find too embarrassing to write about. I do hope that my treatment will start to work soon and that I will be free of suffering, but Late Stage Neurological Lyme Disease is hard to conquer. Kind words of support are always appreciated and help me to stay positive. There is always hope in life x
A Day In The Life Of Lyme Disease
Things not to say to someone who is sick source

Further reading if you want to know more:
My original Lyme post:
Lyme and Loss
More Posts from me:
Worldwide Lyme Protests
Lyme/Bartonella Awareness Nails
Other blogs:
Inside The Mind Of A Person With Chronic Lyme Disease

• skram 18/06/2014 at 12:46 am

I'm so sorry that you're having to suffer through this- I can't begin to imagine just how exhausting it must be.
    Sending you lots of hugs as always
    Em xox

• Jae Harrison 18/06/2014 at 9:57 am

Oh that statement about second guessing yourself after your symptoms ease I can absolutely identify with (not from Lyme though – I have an anxiety disorder). It's such a rotten feeling – you convince yourself it can't have been that bad and then the weight of feeling disappointed in yourself sets in when instead you should be proud of yourself for being so strong.

I have a lot of respect for you – what you're going through does not seem for the faint of heart, and with the dog fostering and raising awareness of Lyme you're doing wonderful things. I also think you write beautifully, so I hope that putting your thoughts out here helps xx

• Alinta McMurdo 25/06/2014 at 11:31 am

Thank you for your support Jae, I really appreciate it xx

• Rachel Cox 05/07/2014 at 8:34 pm

Alinta, it was like reading the inside of my own mind, reading your piece about your suffering. I wish the world was a kinder place. I wish that you could get some more relief. I hope that treatment can give you back some of what you have lost. What a torturous, hideous thing Lyme is. And so hard to get doctors to consider down in this part of the world. Your nails are gorgeous, but your soul even more so. Keep writing it out Alinta. You are beautiful.

*press sample  #lovealinta #sustainablebeauty #sustainablebrand #ecobeauty #ethicalbeauty #ecotools
    What is a sustainable product? I have spent months thinking about this and what I want to write and on my blog and post about here. There is no easy answer to this. Just when considering greenhouse emissions for a company alone, it’s immensely complicated. There was a good article in nature recently going over how Microsoft are trying to achieve net zero, but most companies don’t have the means that Microsoft does. Most companies rely on carbon offsets, which is often planting trees (problematic solution in itself), rather than ensuring their business has no emissions at all. And they don’t take into consideration all the emissions that occur from suppliers and freight of suppliers etc. Then there is the problem of waste. Ideally, I don’t want there to be any permanent waste to occur from any product I buy, but that’s certainly not the case. Most beauty products can’t even be recycled in curb-side recycling bins. I would preferably want my products to be biodegradable, refillable at home, or reused and refilled by the company so that there is no waste. However, I don’t know of an actual solution that encompasses those criteria for some things - like vegan makeup brush hairs as seen with eco tools brushes. I do prioritise this lower than single use plastic, as I get many years of use from makeup brushes. But it’s just another level of complexity that I’ve tried to figure out. So in saying all that, I don’t have the solution or a perfect company or product to talk about as I don’t know of one. I do however intend to support and share about the companies who are trying to be more sustainable. I hope that in supporting them, we will get to a point where companies can fit my ideal criteria. I would like to write a blog post on this but that requires more energy than I have right now - I would however love to hear your thoughts on sustainable products. What is a sustainable product to you? Eco tools was actually the first big company I ever noticed that was promoting eco beauty. It’s interesting how much has changed since then. *press sample #lovealinta #sustainablebeauty #sustainablebrand #ecobeauty #ethicalbeauty #ecotools
#climatechange #climateaction #ipcc #ipccreport #lovealinta
    Since the IPCC report was released on Monday I’ve seen a lot of people expressing how overwhelmed and helpless they feel about climate change. These feelings are absolutely valid. The situation we’re in is dire. The report confirmed that we are currently experiencing the effects of climate change which can be seen in the increase in extreme weather events. We’re currently sitting at 1.1 degrees and we will well overshoot 1.5 degrees by the end of the century if nothing changes. This will cause widespread suffering, death and destruction for humans, animals and ecosystems. But there is good news. We know what the problem is and we know the solution. We can avoid the worst case scenario if we act now. De-carbonising the economy needs to be our top priority, we simply cannot rely on fossil fuels any longer. The most important thing you can do is to get involved and apply political pressure. That means voting for the people with the best climate policies, emailing your local representative, going to climate protests, physically blocking new fossil fuel infrastructure, telling everyone you know to also act - whatever it is you can do to make change, do it. Australia was recently ranked last on climate action against 193 other UN member nations. This cannot continue. COP 26 is around the corner so speak up, tell the Aus gov that you want climate action now. I know many of you don’t have a degree about climate change like I do, so I’ve tried to make this simple and give you examples of what to do, and I’m happy to go into more detail or explain anything you don’t understand, just ask. Do your best to be informed and be prepared to fight for a better future. It will be worth it for every life, species and ecosystem that can be saved. Picture from a Bloomberg article of a graph showing world average temp over 2000 years with obvious uptick since 1850. Title saying heat spike. #climatechange #climateaction #ipcc #ipccreport #lovealinta
Picture of a white and grey dog looking at the camera and licking his nose.
#rescuedog #rescuedogs #dogsofmelbourne #lovealinta
    With Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane all In lockdown, I thought a cute pup picture in your feed might be appreciated. You can swipe to see a cute video of a scruffy puppy Kobi not long after he came into care as a foster dog - he found himself in the pound at 3 months of age. Kobi was probably thinking about food in this photo because he is a bit obsessed with eating. He will even happily eat dirt - I’ve had to clean dirt off his chin far too often lately (don’t worry the vet says there’s nothing wrong with him, he’s just gluttonous). His favourite method for dirt eating is face planting straight onto the ground. It’s certainly an interesting technique. Thanks to everyone who checked in on me. I’m hoping my recent iron infusion will help me to feel less like one foot is in the grave but only time will tell. Leave a comment to let me know what silly things your pets or kids have been up to lately so we can all have a laugh 😊 Picture of a white and grey dog looking at the camera and licking his nose. #rescuedog #rescuedogs #dogsofmelbourne #lovealinta
    It’s been 6.5 weeks since my first Pfizer vaccination and 3.5 since my second, but I still feel like death warmed up. This isn’t surprising. My immunologist, GP and I all knew I would suffer, but that doesn’t make it easier to deal with. This isn’t a covid vaccine specific reaction, I react to all vaccines in the same way. I was out of action for 2 weeks after my meningococcal vaccine last December and most people don’t have any problems with that vax. My vaccine reactions are specific to only me, because of my unique immune deficiencies. My immunologist has never come across anyone else with the combination of immune deficiencies that I have. Unfortunately, one of my worse deficiencies is that of Memory B Cells, which means I don’t make immunity to many vaccines, and when I do, it doesn’t last for long. I still get vaccinated despite this, because it matters. So the point of this post - please get your covid vaccination when you are eligible to. Many vulnerable people like myself are relying on herd immunity and we’re just not going to get there if everyone doesn’t do their part. I didn’t get a pretty sticker but the potential of covid antibodies is better than any sticker.
    I think I’ve made it pretty obvious that I care about Indigenous rights as well as the environment. So I am particularly interested in how Indigenous people want to combat climate change because climate change action desperately needs to be decolonised.
    Here are the ring details as promised. I think you all knew that my ring was going to be ethical in some way. It wouldn’t be me otherwise, would it? I’ve followed @ethicaljewelleryaustralia for years now, so I’ve known for a long time that I would want them to make a ring for me. It’s something that I will be wearing everyday, so I want it to represent my values. So the ring is handmade by #EthicalJewelleryAustralia in the design I wanted. It’s a round diamond with a four prongs that look like little petals. It’s made with recycled platinum and a lab diamond. Diamond and metal mining have a lot of negative social and environmental impacts, plus a lab diamond is far more affordable than a traditionally mined diamond, which means you can reduce your impact on people, the planet and your hip pocket. I hope lab grown diamonds are the choice of the future, as it is far better for human rights and the environment to make a diamond in a lab using renewable energy, than it is to mine them from the ground, using fossil fuels and unethical labor - just look into blood diamonds if you want to know how bad it can get. I also plan on trying to have a more ethical wedding too. I’ve already found a carbon neutral venue, but I’ve got lots of research to do on everything else. Let me know if you have any ideas for a sustainable wedding.
    I have some news. I’m engaged! As a kid/teen I never thought this would happen as I didn’t believe in love - then I got sick and worried that no one would see past my illnesses. But I have found someone who loves me for me, faults, illnesses and all and I can’t wait to marry him.