Glitter And Fireworks – New Year Nails

04/01/2017

Happy new year! I know this post is a bit late but I hope you had a great new years eve. I had a quiet night in with my pups but of course I had to have blingy nails for the occasion. I did a glitter gradient on most nails and a glittery firework for the accent nail.

Glitter and fireworks - new year nails
Glitter and fireworks – new year nails

For these new year nails, I started with a base of Powder Perfect Turtledoves, a gorgeous ivory (off white) creme nail polish that looks amazing by itself or in nail art. It isn’t as harsh as wearing a bright white, and I get a lot of compliments when I wear it. The glitter gradient was done by using Shades Of Phoenix Hermera, it is unfortunately discontinued but it is the only glitter topper I own that has a mix of gold and pink hexagon glitters. My bottle is old so the base is turning slightly yellow which tends to happen with a lot of glitter toppers as the glitters can leach a small amount of colour into the clear base, but the slight tint doesn’t bother me as it’s only visible in the macro photos, not in real life. As with all my glitter gradients, I wiped the brush off on the neck of the nail polish bottle and swiped it on in random areas, concentrating on the tip of the nail. Glitter gradients are so easy to do and they are meant to be random so there is no precision involved.

Glitter gradient and microglitter firework mani for NYE
Glitter gradient and microglitter firework mani for NYE

For the accent nail, I used two microglitter polishes from Powder Perfect, Flowering Lotus (pink) and Abydos (gold) with a What’s Up Nails firework nail vinyl stencil. I always use What’s Up Nails vinyls as they have been the most consistent with quality but this design was the one dud I have tried from the brand (and I have a lot of their nail vinyls). I think the cut outs were too little to cut properly so they tended to hang on to the stencil and the process of pulling them off took forever – I got there in the end though. I really like how this turned out. It’s not a very hard mani to do but the end result looks good.

Microglitter firework nail art
Microglitter firework nail art

I don’t tend to make new years resolutions as so much of my life is dictated by my health, so instead I usually wish for good health so that I can accomplish all the things that have been in my head for the last 10 years. I am however hoping to put up more blog posts and post on social media more often this year. It is obviously very dependant on my health but I just purchased a blog planner so that I can write all the blog post ideas down and keep track of them. It took me ages to find a blog planner that had what I wanted so I hope this one works well for me. I just got replies from two big planner companies about their planners being vegan friendly (no animal products like leather) so I am going to get one of those next week – if you’re curious, Webster’s who make Color Crush planners and Simple Stories who make Carpe Diem planners are the companies who got back to me. I am also using my personal planner again so that hopefully I can get more control over my anxiety in 2017. For Christmas I just got a macro lens to go with the Sony A5100 camera I got for my birthday, so I also hope to improve my photos over this next year.

Glitter gradient using Shades Of Phoenix Hermera
Glitter gradient using Shades Of Phoenix Hermera

Did you paint your nails for NYE or do something fun? Have you got any new years resolutions or wishes?

As I have said many times, I really appreciate those of you who read my blog and those of you who interact with me on here and social media. I hope to continue hearing from you all in 2017.

• maxtheunicorn 05/01/2017 at 3:07 pm

I haven’t done a glitter mani in ages but this makes me want to! Love the effect and the accent nail is so cute 🙂

• Alinta McMurdo 07/01/2017 at 6:36 pm

I always forget to do them but they’re so easy. Thank you 🙂

• jacquelinefcolman 06/01/2017 at 1:14 pm

These are so fun and perfect for new years!

• Alinta McMurdo 07/01/2017 at 6:36 pm

Thanks so much, it kind of made up for not seeing fireworks in person lol

• Kez | acaciasdreams 08/01/2017 at 10:42 pm

I love that Shades of Phoenix glitter polish, such a shame it has been discontinued! I hope you had a wonderful New Year and wishing you all the best for 2017 xx

Kez | acaciasdreams.com

• Michelle Morchella 15/01/2017 at 11:57 pm

I love glitters, but I hate to remove them. I need to buy some peel off base coat so I can start with glitters again. Your nails are gorgoeous and I love them!

Michelle Morchella

• Alinta McMurdo 06/02/2017 at 10:38 pm

Thank you, I use Powder Perfects peel of base coat when I can’t be bothered with glitter removal 🙂

• Claire Talks Beauty 17/01/2017 at 1:22 pm

i love this design! so cute!

• Alinta McMurdo 06/02/2017 at 10:39 pm