Glitter And Fireworks – New Year Nails

04/01/2017

Happy new year! I know this post is a bit late but I hope you had a great new years eve. I had a quiet night in with my pups but of course I had to have blingy nails for the occasion. I did a glitter gradient on most nails and a glittery firework for the accent nail.

Glitter and fireworks - new year nails
Glitter and fireworks – new year nails

For these new year nails, I started with a base of Powder Perfect Turtledoves, a gorgeous ivory (off white) creme nail polish that looks amazing by itself or in nail art. It isn’t as harsh as wearing a bright white, and I get a lot of compliments when I wear it. The glitter gradient was done by using Shades Of Phoenix Hermera, it is unfortunately discontinued but it is the only glitter topper I own that has a mix of gold and pink hexagon glitters. My bottle is old so the base is turning slightly yellow which tends to happen with a lot of glitter toppers as the glitters can leach a small amount of colour into the clear base, but the slight tint doesn’t bother me as it’s only visible in the macro photos, not in real life. As with all my glitter gradients, I wiped the brush off on the neck of the nail polish bottle and swiped it on in random areas, concentrating on the tip of the nail. Glitter gradients are so easy to do and they are meant to be random so there is no precision involved.

Glitter gradient and microglitter firework mani for NYE
Glitter gradient and microglitter firework mani for NYE

For the accent nail, I used two microglitter polishes from Powder Perfect, Flowering Lotus (pink) and Abydos (gold) with a What’s Up Nails firework nail vinyl stencil. I always use What’s Up Nails vinyls as they have been the most consistent with quality but this design was the one dud I have tried from the brand (and I have a lot of their nail vinyls). I think the cut outs were too little to cut properly so they tended to hang on to the stencil and the process of pulling them off took forever – I got there in the end though. I really like how this turned out. It’s not a very hard mani to do but the end result looks good.

Microglitter firework nail art
Microglitter firework nail art

I don’t tend to make new years resolutions as so much of my life is dictated by my health, so instead I usually wish for good health so that I can accomplish all the things that have been in my head for the last 10 years. I am however hoping to put up more blog posts and post on social media more often this year. It is obviously very dependant on my health but I just purchased a blog planner so that I can write all the blog post ideas down and keep track of them. It took me ages to find a blog planner that had what I wanted so I hope this one works well for me. I just got replies from two big planner companies about their planners being vegan friendly (no animal products like leather) so I am going to get one of those next week – if you’re curious, Webster’s who make Color Crush planners and Simple Stories who make Carpe Diem planners are the companies who got back to me. I am also using my personal planner again so that hopefully I can get more control over my anxiety in 2017. For Christmas I just got a macro lens to go with the Sony A5100 camera I got for my birthday, so I also hope to improve my photos over this next year.

Glitter gradient using Shades Of Phoenix Hermera
Glitter gradient using Shades Of Phoenix Hermera

Did you paint your nails for NYE or do something fun? Have you got any new years resolutions or wishes?

As I have said many times, I really appreciate those of you who read my blog and those of you who interact with me on here and social media. I hope to continue hearing from you all in 2017.

• maxtheunicorn 05/01/2017 at 3:07 pm

I haven’t done a glitter mani in ages but this makes me want to! Love the effect and the accent nail is so cute 🙂

• Alinta McMurdo 07/01/2017 at 6:36 pm

I always forget to do them but they’re so easy. Thank you 🙂

• jacquelinefcolman 06/01/2017 at 1:14 pm

These are so fun and perfect for new years!

• Alinta McMurdo 07/01/2017 at 6:36 pm

Thanks so much, it kind of made up for not seeing fireworks in person lol

• Kez | acaciasdreams 08/01/2017 at 10:42 pm

I love that Shades of Phoenix glitter polish, such a shame it has been discontinued! I hope you had a wonderful New Year and wishing you all the best for 2017 xx

Kez | acaciasdreams.com

• Michelle Morchella 15/01/2017 at 11:57 pm

I love glitters, but I hate to remove them. I need to buy some peel off base coat so I can start with glitters again. Your nails are gorgoeous and I love them!

Michelle Morchella

• Alinta McMurdo 06/02/2017 at 10:38 pm

Thank you, I use Powder Perfects peel of base coat when I can’t be bothered with glitter removal 🙂

• Claire Talks Beauty 17/01/2017 at 1:22 pm

i love this design! so cute!

• Alinta McMurdo 06/02/2017 at 10:39 pm

Thanks so much 🙂

#pride #asexualpride #LGBTQIA #pridenails #rainbownails
#pride #asexualpride #LGBTQIA #pridenails #rainbownails
#pride #asexualpride #LGBTQIA #pridenails #rainbownails
    With it being #pridemonth, we are going to talk about the A in LGBTQIA+ (while you look at some of my rainbow-ish nails from over the years). The A stands for Asexual, or Aromantic, or Agender,, but not Ally. Asexuals are people who don’t experience sexual attraction to others (or only do in certain circumstances, like those who are grey or demisexual). It’s a spectrum, we’re all different. Many aces still have relationships, whether romantic, sexual or queer-platonic. Asexuality is about attraction, not relationship status. Aces are frequently erased from the queer community. Last pride was particularly bad for ace erasure and hate. Aces belong in the queer community. Many aces have a hard time coming to terms with being ace in our hyper-sexualised society, and then they have to deal with erasure from their own community too. I personally would have been saved years of worrying that something was wrong with me if someone had just explained the difference between sexual and romantic attraction to me as a teen. There are so many amazing aces out there who deserve to be supported, especially by the queer community. So, don’t forget to include the A if you’re going to use the LGBTQIA+ acronym, and show for aces, whether you’re in the community or an ally. #pride #asexualpride #LGBTQIA #pridenails #rainbownails
    5 days ago
#trilogy #trilogyskincare #discovertrilogy #lovealinta
    Plastic packaging and beauty products. What can one change do? When @trilogyproducts changed from plastic spatulas to bamboo ones, they stopped producing 208,000 plastic spatulas a year. For me, that means I now won’t be adding to my very large pile of plastic spatulas that I have accumulated over the years by using the Trilogy Replenishing Night Cream every day. No other night cream compares for me, so I’m glad I won’t add to that pile. I kept them all hoping that I would find a use for them but that has yet to happen 🤷‍♀️ A lot of beauty brands market that their plastic can be recycled, but many of those products can’t be put in curbside recycling. When they can go into the recycling bin it doesn’t mean customers are actually doing that, and even when the plastic does make it into the recycling bin, it doesn’t mean it’s actually recycled. There’s a huge amount of plastic in recycling centers that never gets made into something new. So I appreciate it when brands do make changes like this because I can see the result as a consumer. That doesn’t always mean the change is automatically better for the environment, because there’s no way of knowing if the brand uses more materials or greenhouse gases to make the new version. Beauty brands can be very cagey about their greenhouse gas emissions, particularly their scope 3 emissions. Therefore as consumers we can often only make best guesses as to which brands and products are the most sustainable choice. Changing plastic packaging is however a very obvious difference for customers, because we see the difference in where our waste goes. So as a customer I do like seeing brands moving to products that aren’t plastic, or at the very least using plastic that is easily curbside recycled. Many beauty brands have a long way to go before their products are easily recycled, but Trilogy is one of the brands who have made an effort to change this. So long story, short, I love Trilogy skincare products and appreciate that they are trying to make the brand more eco-friendly. What’s your opinion on this? Do you have a weird plastic spatula pile, or is it just me? #trilogy #trilogyskincare #discovertrilogy #lovealinta
    2 weeks ago

#auspol #ausvotes #climateaction #climateactionnow #lovealinta

#auspol #ausvotes #climateaction #climateactionnow #lovealinta

#auspol #ausvotes #climateaction #climateactionnow #lovealinta

#auspol #ausvotes #climateaction #climateactionnow #lovealinta
    Bonsai and I looking happy and relieved to see that Australians actually voted for action on climate change this past weekend. Seeing the number of votes The Greens got is heartening. I hope that the joint pressure from both The Greens and the new teal independents will force the government to take proper action on the climate. I’m grateful for everyone who voted for a better future, but remember that the current Labor climate policy is severely lacking. Labors 2030 greenhouse gas emissions reduction target (below 2005 levels) is only 43%, when we need the 75% reduction of The Greens plan. Your voice, time and action is still needed in this fight. There are heaps of Aussie environment and climate orgs that you can volunteer for and donate to. If you want recommendations just ask. Some Indigenous-led ones that you should donate to and check out are @ourislandsourhome @wjstandingourground and @seedmob. I’m so happy that the LNP is no longer in power, but there is still a lot that Labor has no plans to fix - like the climate, refugees, First Nations treaties, Medicare etc. Some of you may be ‘sick of’ politics after the election, but if you want a better future, you need to fight for it. These photos are from summer after @nicolegroch_hairmakeup did my hair and makeup with cruelty free and vegan products. The extra photos are so you can see my pretty @tasitravels sustainable dress which you can buy from @velvetyethical (use code ALINTAVEL for 10% off your order). Picnic rug is from @weaver.green_au and made from 100% recycled plastic bottles. #auspol #ausvotes #climateaction #climateactionnow #lovealinta
    1 month ago
#earthday #climateactionnow #lovealinta
    ‘If you were going to pick a continent that is the worst possible place for human beings to live in the face of climate change it would be Australia.’ Prof Michael Mann, Climate Scientist at Pennsylvania State University, on ABC Four Corners. Today is Earth Day so it is a good time to remember that we’re in a climate crisis. You are seeing the impacts of climate change all around you right now, but the worst is still to come - we need to act fast. There are things we can do as individuals to live more sustainably like flying less, driving less, buying less, eating less meat etc. There are however some things that governments need to accomplish, and that will not happen unless you put pressure on them to do so. That means getting out there and protesting, mailing MPs, joining climate movements, and for Australians, that means voting for the climate in the federal election next month. The recent IPCC report has given the world three years to act. That makes your vote this election more important than ever. Governments around the world need to work together to deliver massive reductions in greenhouse gas emissions, but Australia is just not pulling its weight. Our government has no plans to phase out coal and is in fact planning on digging up more. Australia is the second biggest coal exporter in the world. This cannot continue if we want to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. Demand that the government keeps fossil fuels in the ground. Australia’s current climate policy is atrocious, but the election is coming, so you can do something about that. Please vote for the climate and don’t stop fighting once the election is over. Climate action is needed now, and every single one of your voices is needed to ensure that happens. #earthday #climateactionnow #lovealinta
Photography @rick_liston
Cake @katscakesmelbourne
Rings @ethicaljewelleryaustralia
Dress @madilanebridal
Dress boutique @luvbridal
Dress alterations @seamworks.au
Prop hire @twilightglamping
    I promised the wedding vendor details and then forgot to follow through, so here they are. Photography @rick_liston Venue including food @yarravalleyestate Hair and makeup artist @nicolegroch_hairmakeup Celebrant @ceremonieswithsarah Flowers @lilacandthecat Cake @katscakesmelbourne Rings @ethicaljewelleryaustralia Dress @madilanebridal Dress boutique @luvbridal Dress alterations @seamworks.au Prop hire @twilightglamping If you know me, you’ll know I tried to make my wedding as ethical as possible. I think just about everything but the dress was ethical or sustainable in some way. My hmua, #NicoleGroch is so talented and she only uses cruelty free and vegan products. The venue, #YarraValleyEstate, is sustainably focused, they have solar panels, are carbon neutral and were happy to go along with all my sustainable ideas. All our food was vegan and vegetarian, we were going to do just vegan but I compromised and did the mix to stop family getting upset (but that happened anyway so I should have just gone with vegan). Our veg cake from #katscakesmelbourne had vegan and gluten free cupcakes with it so everyone could enjoy some cake. The flowers were from the sustainable florist #lilacandthecat who uses local blooms and no plastic/cellophane/floral foam etc. The rings from #ethicaljewelleryaustralia are made with lab diamonds and recycled platinum. As you can see, the photos were amazing. #RickListon is a local to the Yarra valley and is truly amazing at what he does. Continued in comments …
#weddingday #lovealinta
    I have been MIA for a while, but that’s because I have some news … I got married on the 22/02/2022. When I was a kid I always knew I wanted children myself, but I never thought I would get married. To be fair, I’m still not a big fan of weddings as a lot of the traditions are steeped in misogyny and the oppression of women, but I changed/cut out some of the parts that made me the most uncomfortable. In another world I would happily continue living the rest of my life with my partner and not get married, but we unfortunately live in a world where having a husband makes getting appropriate health care easier. I do plan on continuing to fight the sexism and ableism of the health care system, but sometimes I need a break, and having a husband will make that easier for me. Anyway, now that I have told you the realities of the situation (because it would feel like a lie if I didn’t include that), I can tell you that we had a small covid safe wedding with those closest to us. We got to celebrate our love and see our families which we haven’t been able to do for the past 2 years. The day was so relaxed and I had such a wonderful time. And because it was so small, those there completely understood how necessary the covid protocols were that we had in place. Since then, I’ve been back home in isolation again. Trying to wait out the virus so I don’t become another casualty. But I’m glad that I got to celebrate this milestone in my life, especially because it meant seeing loved ones. And obviously because it’s me, I tried to make my wedding as ethical as possible so I’ll post some of that info in another post but I have to give credit to our wonderful photographer @rick_liston. If you need a Yarra Valley photographer check him out, he’s amazing. #weddingday #lovealinta

#alwayswasalwayswillbe #invasionday

Image 3: Frontier War sites by University of Newcastle.

#alwayswasalwayswillbe #invasionday

Image 3: Frontier War sites by University of Newcastle.

#alwayswasalwayswillbe #invasionday

Image 3: Frontier War sites by University of Newcastle.
    Reminder - we don’t celebrate genocide around here. It is horrendous that there is a public holiday to celebrate the colonization of Australia. Australia Day needs to be abolished. If you don’t understand why, please read all the detailed information that has been put online for free by many amazing Indigenous creators. Show up for them and support them. I also recommend listening to the Frontier War Stories podcast so that you hear some real stories. Oh, and before anyone says anything about “tradition” - Aus day has only been celebrated on the 26th since 1994. Whereas in 1938 Indigenous Elders called for a day of mourning on the 26th of Jan. There is no tradition here, and there is no celebrating invasion, colonization, dispossession and genocide. Indigenous people continue to be oppressed, so please show up for them tomorrow (and every day). @nitv_au has a good round up of all events happening tomorrow. Because of case numbers, nothing in person is happening in Narrm (Melbourne) but there is an online dawn service starting at 5:15am being run by the Vic NAIDOC Committee. #alwayswasalwayswillbe #invasionday Image 1: Just a reminder we don’t celebrate genocide graphic by @sar.ra__ (check out her other artwork). Image 2: stylized version of @aiatsis_ map - they sell hard copies of the original you can buy. Image 3: Frontier War sites by University of Newcastle.
@ultravioletteau #ultravioletteau #lovealinta
    Ultraviolette recently released their Dream Screen skin tint. As I’ve explained previously, sunscreen is very important to me. Skin cancer is prominent in my family and I’m even fairer than the my other family members. I can get burnt within minutes of being in the sun, so I am always wearing sunscreen (and avoiding the sun) to try and prevent future skin cancer. The reason why this interested me is because it’s SPF 50 and it has a sheer dewy finish. I typically wear a bb/cc cream with SPF, but I always have to add so much white to it, making the SPF negligible. I can however actually wear Dream Screen in shade V1 without adding white, which is awesome. I use my Supreme Screen underneath, and then layer Dream Screen on top and they work well together. It’s important to remember to wear a base layer of sunscreen, as you’re unlikely to put enough of a tinted product on to get the labeled SPF coverage. The finish is a bit too dewy for me, so I use a little bit of translucent powder over the top, and then I’m good to go. The packaging is interesting. It’s a squeeze tube which makes it easy to use, but probably very hard to recycle. Dream Screen comes in 11 shades and is vegan. Ultraviolette is cruelty free but I really want to see them Leaping Bunny certified. I’ve got all of their sunscreens so I can post swatches of them, or do a video showing application if that interests anyone. Whatever helps you to wear more sunscreen, I’m willing to do 😬 Photo description - beige ultraviolette bottle laying in plain black background with ultraviolette products surrounding it. @ultravioletteau #ultravioletteau #lovealinta
#chihuahua #rescuedog #adoptdontshop #lovealinta
    It’s Bonsai’s 9th birthday today. The vet is unsure how many more birthdays he’s going to get, so I’m giving him as much love as possible while he’s here. We got the news last month that his heart is failing, which is just another health problem my poor little guy has to deal with. He’s on lots of meds to reduce the symptoms, but there’s no way of slowing down heart failure for him. I thought I would get another 10 years together with him (being a chihuahua and all), so knowing his time is limited has been tough. He however has no idea he’s sick and is just as happy and silly as always. His weird antics continue to make me laugh every day, which is why I also wanted to remind you all to adopt your next pet - and don’t discount the sick or disabled ones, they can be amazing pets too. Picture description - close up of blonde chihuahua looking at the camera with his tongue out and folded over. #chihuahua #rescuedog #adoptdontshop #lovealinta