Welcome to Love Alinta

01/07/2019

Welcome to lovealinta.com! I have spent a lot of time re-branding and redesigning this website to make it more appealing to you, the reader. I turn 30 tomorrow (2nd July), and I thought it was a good time to finally make a big change with this blog. Love Alinta has a responsive layout, so you can use this website on any device, including your computer, tablet or phone.

Love Alinta cruelty free beauty blog

I started this blog in 2014 as Polish and Paws, because I wanted to document my nail art skill progression and have somewhere to write about my dogs, and dog rescue. At the time, there were no other blogs with the name Polish and Paws, but a few months after I started my blog, someone else also started a blog under the same name, and there has been confusion about the two blogs on occasion because of this. So I wanted to come up with a blog name that was unique, and that wouldn’t be used by anyone else, which is how Love Alinta came to be. If you don’t know, my name Alinta, means ‘the flame’ or fire in an Australian aboriginal language. I really love my name, and it is unique enough, that hopefully no one will use this blog name in future.

Love Alinta cruelty free beauty blog

Polish and Paws also didn’t match the content I am creating any more. When I first started blogging, I didn’t know anything about animal testing. When I found out that animals can be tortured for our own vanity, I was appalled. That’s when I started sharing my reviews on cruelty free beauty products, as I wanted to make it easier for others to also choose cruelty free cosmetics. The blog being called Love Alinta, allows me to write about the things that I am passionate about, which includes cruelty free beauty, nails, health and dogs, but I also hope to include more posts about eco-friendly products in future too.

Love Alinta cruelty free beauty blog

I have had the pink and yellow/orange watercolour blog theme since I started this blog on blogger all those years ago. I thought it was time to make the blog look more mature, but at the same time I really wanted to focus on the usability of the site. I hope this layout is easy for you to navigate and find everything that you want to, but if you ever have problems or layout suggestions, I would love to hear from you.

Love Alinta, previously polish and paws, a cruelty free beauty blog

I had some help from some awesome people to create this new site., with some of them being complete strangers. One person that I wanted to send a thank you to is Amanda from XO Art & Design who so kindly created three hand drawn calligraphy logos for me, without me asking or even knowing her. I haven’t used them, simply because I wanted a font that I could reuse in many places on this blog, but she is very talented and worth checking out if you want any sort of calligraphy work done.

As a thank you to those of you who read my blog, I am giving away a Beautyblender Chill with mini blendercleanser solid. You just have to comment below with what you like about the new blog layout/branding or tell me something that could be improved, and make sure you leave you email address or social media name so that I can contact you if you win. Open to Aus residents, as international postage is too costly for me right now. You have one week to enter and I’ll comment when the giveaway is closed.

Beautyblender Chill with blendercleanser - Love Alinta cruelty free blog

If you ever want to refer to my previous blog posts from polishandpaws.com.au, they are all still here, and the links to those will redirect you to the new site, so you can always find what you need. This re-brand has taken more time and energy than I originally thought it would, but I will be back with my regular blog posts soon. I have so many products to review, so don’t forget to sign up for email updates, to get my blog posts sent straight to your inbox. You can also find me on social media to see what I’m up to as well – Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.

• Laurelle Chastain 01/07/2019 at 8:41 pm

Loving the rebrand, it looks Fab, Alinta. More versatile too, with your current topics and anything you want to write about going forward.

• Alinta McMurdo 11/07/2019 at 5:39 pm

Congrats, you are the random winner of the beauty blender 🙂 Can you email me at lovealinta.com so I can get your postage info and thank you for the feedback.

• Laurelle 18/07/2019 at 4:41 pm

Thank you!!! 😁😁❤️

• Penni 02/07/2019 at 12:46 pm

Congrats on new look blog & turning 30. I always enjoy reading your ideas. I really like your name too & how interesting that it is Aboriginal! The new layout scrolls so smoothly on my phone.

• Skyexvx 07/07/2019 at 6:15 pm

I mostly read blogs on my mobile and this layout and text choice was perfect. Nothing was unable to be seen or used when navigating which is a huge plus for me!

• Victoria 07/07/2019 at 6:24 pm

Loooooove!
    honestly I love how non-distracting and clean it looks, this helps me focus so much easier on reading the content due to my adhd ^_^ it feels so easy on my brain!

• Kimberly 08/07/2019 at 4:01 am

Absolutely love the new website! So elegant and easy to read. Versatile and I love it!

• Alinta McMurdo 11/07/2019 at 5:40 pm

Great, thanks for the feedback, very helpful 🙂

• Emily 08/07/2019 at 1:45 am

I’m loving the asthetic of this, such pretty colours and easy to navigate!
    Happy belated birthday also!

What is a sustainable product? I have spent months thinking about this and what I want to write and on my blog and post about here. There is no easy answer to this. Just when considering greenhouse emissions for a company alone, it’s immensely complicated. There was a good article in nature recently going over how Microsoft are trying to achieve net zero, but most companies don’t have the means that Microsoft does. Most companies rely on carbon offsets, which is often planting trees (problematic solution in itself), rather than ensuring their business has no emissions at all. And they don’t take into consideration all the emissions that occur from suppliers and freight of suppliers etc. Then there is the problem of waste. Ideally, I don’t want there to be any permanent waste to occur from any product I buy, but that’s certainly not the case. Most beauty products can’t even be recycled in curb-side recycling bins. I would preferably want my products to be biodegradable, refillable at home, or reused and refilled by the company so that there is no waste. However, I don’t know of an actual solution that encompasses those criteria for some things - like vegan makeup brush hairs as seen with eco tools brushes. I do prioritise this lower than single use plastic, as I get many years of use from makeup brushes. But it’s just another level of complexity that I’ve tried to figure out. So in saying all that, I don’t have the solution or a perfect company or product to talk about as I don’t know of one. I do however intend to support and share about the companies who are trying to be more sustainable. I hope that in supporting them, we will get to a point where companies can fit my ideal criteria. I would like to write a blog post on this but that requires more energy than I have right now - I would however love to hear your thoughts on sustainable products. What is a sustainable product to you? Eco tools was actually the first big company I ever noticed that was promoting eco beauty. It’s interesting how much has changed since then.
*press sample  #lovealinta #sustainablebeauty #sustainablebrand #ecobeauty #ethicalbeauty #ecotools

What is a sustainable product? I have spent months thinking about this and what I want to write and on my blog and post about here. There is no easy answer to this. Just when considering greenhouse emissions for a company alone, it’s immensely complicated. There was a good article in nature recently going over how Microsoft are trying to achieve net zero, but most companies don’t have the means that Microsoft does. Most companies rely on carbon offsets, which is often planting trees (problematic solution in itself), rather than ensuring their business has no emissions at all. And they don’t take into consideration all the emissions that occur from suppliers and freight of suppliers etc. Then there is the problem of waste. Ideally, I don’t want there to be any permanent waste to occur from any product I buy, but that’s certainly not the case. Most beauty products can’t even be recycled in curb-side recycling bins. I would preferably want my products to be biodegradable, refillable at home, or reused and refilled by the company so that there is no waste. However, I don’t know of an actual solution that encompasses those criteria for some things – like vegan makeup brush hairs as seen with eco tools brushes. I do prioritise this lower than single use plastic, as I get many years of use from makeup brushes. But it’s just another level of complexity that I’ve tried to figure out. So in saying all that, I don’t have the solution or a perfect company or product to talk about as I don’t know of one. I do however intend to support and share about the companies who are trying to be more sustainable. I hope that in supporting them, we will get to a point where companies can fit my ideal criteria. I would like to write a blog post on this but that requires more energy than I have right now – I would however love to hear your thoughts on sustainable products. What is a sustainable product to you? Eco tools was actually the first big company I ever noticed that was promoting eco beauty. It’s interesting how much has changed since then.
    *press sample #lovealinta #sustainablebeauty #sustainablebrand #ecobeauty #ethicalbeauty #ecotools

1 week ago
    Since the IPCC report was released on Monday I’ve seen a lot of people expressing how overwhelmed and helpless they feel about climate change. These feelings are absolutely valid. The situation we’re in is dire. The report confirmed that we are currently experiencing the effects of climate change which can be seen in the increase in extreme weather events. We’re currently sitting at 1.1 degrees and we will well overshoot 1.5 degrees by the end of the century if nothing changes. This will cause widespread suffering, death and destruction for humans, animals and ecosystems.
But there is good news. We know what the problem is and we know the solution. We can avoid the worst case scenario if we act now. De-carbonising the economy needs to be our top priority, we simply cannot rely on fossil fuels any longer. The most important thing you can do is to get involved and apply political pressure. That means voting for the people with the best climate policies, emailing your local representative, going to climate protests, physically blocking new fossil fuel infrastructure, telling everyone you know to also act - whatever it is you can do to make change, do it.
Australia was recently ranked last on climate action against 193 other UN member nations. This cannot continue. COP 26 is around the corner so speak up, tell the Aus gov that you want climate action now. I know many of you don’t have a degree about climate change like I do, so I’ve tried to make this simple and give you examples of what to do, and I’m happy to go into more detail or explain anything you don’t understand, just ask. Do your best to be informed and be prepared to fight for a better future. It will be worth it for every life, species and ecosystem that can be saved.
Picture from a Bloomberg article of a graph showing world average temp over 2000 years with obvious uptick since 1850. Title saying heat spike.
#climatechange #climateaction #ipcc #ipccreport #lovealinta

But there is good news. We know what the problem is and we know the solution. We can avoid the worst case scenario if we act now. De-carbonising the economy needs to be our top priority, we simply cannot rely on fossil fuels any longer. The most important thing you can do is to get involved and apply political pressure. That means voting for the people with the best climate policies, emailing your local representative, going to climate protests, physically blocking new fossil fuel infrastructure, telling everyone you know to also act – whatever it is you can do to make change, do it.
    #climatechange #climateaction #ipcc #ipccreport #lovealinta

With Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane all In lockdown, I thought a cute pup picture in your feed might be appreciated. You can swipe to see a cute video of a scruffy puppy Kobi not long after he came into care as a foster dog - he found himself in the pound at 3 months of age.
Kobi was probably thinking about food in this photo because he is a bit obsessed with eating. He will even happily eat dirt - I’ve had to clean dirt off his chin far too often lately (don’t worry the vet says there’s nothing wrong with him, he’s just gluttonous). His favourite method for dirt eating is face planting straight onto the ground. It’s certainly an interesting technique.
Thanks to everyone who checked in on me. I’m hoping my recent iron infusion will help me to feel less like one foot is in the grave but only time will tell.
Leave a comment to let me know what silly things your pets or kids have been up to lately so we can all have a laugh 😊
Picture of a white and grey dog looking at the camera and licking his nose.
#rescuedog #rescuedogs #dogsofmelbourne #lovealinta

With Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane all In lockdown, I thought a cute pup picture in your feed might be appreciated. You can swipe to see a cute video of a scruffy puppy Kobi not long after he came into care as a foster dog – he found himself in the pound at 3 months of age.
    Kobi was probably thinking about food in this photo because he is a bit obsessed with eating. He will even happily eat dirt – I’ve had to clean dirt off his chin far too often lately (don’t worry the vet says there’s nothing wrong with him, he’s just gluttonous). His favourite method for dirt eating is face planting straight onto the ground. It’s certainly an interesting technique.
    Picture of a white and grey dog looking at the camera and licking his nose.
    #rescuedog #rescuedogs #dogsofmelbourne #lovealinta

It’s been 6.5 weeks since my first Pfizer vaccination and 3.5 since my second, but I still feel like death warmed up. This isn’t surprising. My immunologist, GP and I all knew I would suffer, but that doesn’t make it easier to deal with. This isn’t a covid vaccine specific reaction, I react to all vaccines in the same way. I was out of action for 2 weeks after my meningococcal vaccine last December and most people don’t have any problems with that vax. My vaccine reactions are specific to only me, because of my unique immune deficiencies. My immunologist has never come across anyone else with the combination of immune deficiencies that I have. Unfortunately, one of my worse deficiencies is that of Memory B Cells, which means I don’t make immunity to many vaccines, and when I do, it doesn’t last for long. I still get vaccinated despite this, because it matters. So the point of this post - please get your covid vaccination when you are eligible to. Many vulnerable people like myself are relying on herd immunity and we’re just not going to get there if everyone doesn’t do their part. I didn’t get a pretty sticker but the potential of covid antibodies is better than any sticker.

It’s been 6.5 weeks since my first Pfizer vaccination and 3.5 since my second, but I still feel like death warmed up. This isn’t surprising. My immunologist, GP and I all knew I would suffer, but that doesn’t make it easier to deal with. This isn’t a covid vaccine specific reaction, I react to all vaccines in the same way. I was out of action for 2 weeks after my meningococcal vaccine last December and most people don’t have any problems with that vax. My vaccine reactions are specific to only me, because of my unique immune deficiencies. My immunologist has never come across anyone else with the combination of immune deficiencies that I have. Unfortunately, one of my worse deficiencies is that of Memory B Cells, which means I don’t make immunity to many vaccines, and when I do, it doesn’t last for long. I still get vaccinated despite this, because it matters. So the point of this post – please get your covid vaccination when you are eligible to. Many vulnerable people like myself are relying on herd immunity and we’re just not going to get there if everyone doesn’t do their part. I didn’t get a pretty sticker but the potential of covid antibodies is better than any sticker.

I think I’ve made it pretty obvious that I care about Indigenous rights as well as the environment. So I am particularly interested in how Indigenous people want to combat climate change because climate change action desperately needs to be decolonised.

Pic description – white lined notebook on black background with handwriting that says First Nations People’s and Earth Based Governance.

Here are the ring details as promised. I think you all knew that my ring was going to be ethical in some way. It wouldn’t be me otherwise, would it? I’ve followed @ethicaljewelleryaustralia for years now, so I’ve known for a long time that I would want them to make a ring for me. It’s something that I will be wearing everyday, so I want it to represent my values. So the ring is handmade by #EthicalJewelleryAustralia in the design I wanted. It’s a round diamond with a four prongs that look like little petals. It’s made with recycled platinum and a lab diamond. Diamond and metal mining have a lot of negative social and environmental impacts, plus a lab diamond is far more affordable than a traditionally mined diamond, which means you can reduce your impact on people, the planet and your hip pocket. I hope lab grown diamonds are the choice of the future, as it is far better for human rights and the environment to make a diamond in a lab using renewable energy, than it is to mine them from the ground, using fossil fuels and unethical labor - just look into blood diamonds if you want to know how bad it can get. I also plan on trying to have a more ethical wedding too. I’ve already found a carbon neutral venue, but I’ve got lots of research to do on everything else. Let me know if you have any ideas for a sustainable wedding.

Here are the ring details as promised. I think you all knew that my ring was going to be ethical in some way. It wouldn’t be me otherwise, would it? I’ve followed @ethicaljewelleryaustralia for years now, so I’ve known for a long time that I would want them to make a ring for me. It’s something that I will be wearing everyday, so I want it to represent my values. So the ring is handmade by #EthicalJewelleryAustralia in the design I wanted. It’s a round diamond with a four prongs that look like little petals. It’s made with recycled platinum and a lab diamond. Diamond and metal mining have a lot of negative social and environmental impacts, plus a lab diamond is far more affordable than a traditionally mined diamond, which means you can reduce your impact on people, the planet and your hip pocket. I hope lab grown diamonds are the choice of the future, as it is far better for human rights and the environment to make a diamond in a lab using renewable energy, than it is to mine them from the ground, using fossil fuels and unethical labor – just look into blood diamonds if you want to know how bad it can get. I also plan on trying to have a more ethical wedding too. I’ve already found a carbon neutral venue, but I’ve got lots of research to do on everything else. Let me know if you have any ideas for a sustainable wedding.

With it being #EarthDay, I thought I would share some on my sustainable cleaning products. Everyone has to clean, but supermarket cleaning products don’t tend to be very eco-friendly. Here I’ve got my @ecomaxbrushes Bottle brush which is made from coconut waste products and can be composted at the end of its life – it will just leave the wire which can be recycled. There’s my Safix biodegradable scrub pad made from organic coconut fibers which can be composted when you are finished with it. And @retrokitchenaustralia biodegradable dish cloth in a cute dog print. It’s made from cotton and cellulose and can be composted when worn out. I use them with the @koalaeco Natural Multipurpose Kitchen Cleaner which is cruelty free, vegan and palm oil free and comes in 100% post consumer recycled bottles that can be recyclable when finished. I get the big refill bottles and just fill up my spray bottle. I bought all the above from @floraandfaunaau and they’re actually having 15% off eco items today, so all of these are discounted. Don’t forget to use my #floraandfaunaau affiliate code on my blog if you ever make a purchase, it helps me out. There’s lots of other ways to make regular household chores better for the environment. It can feel overwhelming to charge, but just start with small steps. When one product runs out you can replace it with a more sustainable option. One of the last things I need to change is is my laundry detergent so I’m thinking I’ll try @thedirtcompany one. I would love to hear what you think of their products if you’ve tried them. Also let know what eco swaps you’ve made in your home so that I can get more ideas. #EcoSwaps #LoveAlinta

I have some news. I’m engaged! As a kid/teen I never thought this would happen as I didn’t believe in love - then I got sick and worried that no one would see past my illnesses. But I have found someone who loves me for me, faults, illnesses and all and I can’t wait to marry him.

I have some news. I’m engaged! As a kid/teen I never thought this would happen as I didn’t believe in love – then I got sick and worried that no one would see past my illnesses. But I have found someone who loves me for me, faults, illnesses and all and I can’t wait to marry him.