Guide To Australian Indie Nail Polish

04/09/2019

I frequently get asked about what I think the best nail polish brands are. I always tell people to try Australian indie nail polishes as they are great quality and are small businesses often run by one person, so they need the money more than the big companies do. They are all cruelty free and the majority are vegan friendly, or have vegan items available. The thing I like best about indies is that the polish is unique, you will never find the glitters, holos and glass flecks of indies in mainstream polishes – plus you can also get amazing cremes and shimmers from indie brands too. People often ask me where to find indie polishes, so I am writing a list of Aussie indie nail polish brands that are currently open. That way you will always have a list to refer to when you want to try a new indie polish brand.

Australian Indie Nail Polish Brands
Australian Indie Nail Polish Brands

Before I get into the list, I just wanted to touch on some definitions. The main nail polish brands that you will know about are mainstream brands. Mainstream brands are well known, mass produced, and widely available in stores and online. Some cruelty free mainstream brands include China Glaze, Zoya, Color Club, ORLY, Barry M, Butter London, Nubar and Ulta3. Plus there are cruelty free mainstream cosmetic brands that have a nail polish line like Australis, Natio, Face Of Australia, ELF and Pacifica. Some mainstream brands that aren’t cruelty free include OPI, Essie, Sally Hansen and Sinful Colors, plus cosmetic companies like Revlon, L’Oreal, Maybelline, Wet N Wild Beauty, Rimmel etc. Then there are much smaller brands that aren’t as well known or as widely available, and they are called boutique brands. Some Australian boutique brands include Kester Black, Picture Polish, I Scream Nails, Sienna Byron Bay, and Sea Siren Cosmetics, as well as the cosmetic brands Hanami Cosmetics and Ere Perez Cosmetics (all cruelty free). These brands are still small Aussie brands, so they’re worth supporting too, just not classified as an Indie. Indie polish brands which are small family owned businesses that pride themselves on having a close relationship with their customers. You will find indies very active on social media and always connecting with customers and asking for their opinions and input. Many indies are handmade and the nail polish is mixed in very small batches. However, there is a brand called Pretty Serious that have only lab made polishes but many in the Aussie indie polish community still count this brand as an indie as they treat their customers with the same care that indies do, as opposed to boutique brands that have less interaction with their customer base. There is one brand that I am unsure of where to place, called Joss, as it is manufactured by the company that supplies many of the nail polish making supplies to Australian Indie brands. You can check out their website – beautyworld.com.au (previously nailsuperstore.com.au) to see the Joss nail polish range and their variety of nail polish making supplies.

Aussie Indie Nail Polishes
Aussie Indie Nail Polishes

Indie polishes are mainly available online, with each brand having their own individual website. Some indies do the occasional craft market and there are stockists that stock multiple indie brands, like the Femme Fatale Cosmetics website. I have tried most of these indie brands, and therefore know that they are making good quality products. I’ll leave a note next to the brands I haven’t tried yet. Each brand has their own style, so check each website, look on social media and find blog reviews so that you can see the range of amazing products available from each brand. I have had this list running for a long time now, and many of the brands originally on the list have closed down, I have left them on the list, but crossed out, so that you can look up what they once made – you might be able to find some of their products in destashes online. Below you will find each brand listed in alphabetical order with each website so you can get to them easily. Some brands have multiple websites for different locations, and I have linked some to their Facebook fan group if they have one. Aussie Indie Polish fan groups are a great place to interact with the owner of the brand and other fans of the brand. I have also included stamping polish and stamping plates for those of you interested in nail art. Some brands are 3 free and some are 5 free (or more), and some brands have certain vegan products with other brands being all vegan, you will need to check for the details on each individual website.

Australian Indie Nail Polish Brands

Aree Cosmetics – areecosmetics.com – haven’t tried – now closed?

Bella Bella Nail Couture – bellabellenailcouture.bigcartel.com

Bettie Pain Polish – bettiepain.com.au – On hiatus

Celestial Cosmetics – celestialcosmetics.com.au – now closed

Emily de Molly – emilydemolly.com.au (Aus site) emilydemolly.com (US site) – Emily de Molly Facebook Fan Group

Femme Fatale Cosmetics – femmefatalecosmetics.com.auFemme Fatale Fiends Facebook Group

Galivanting Nails – gallivantingnails.com.au – haven’t tried

Glam Polish – glampolish.com.auGlam Polish Fans Facebook Group

Grace-Full Nail Polish – gracefullnailpolish.com.au (Aus site) gracefullnailpolish.com (US site) – Grace-full Nail Polish Facebook Fan Group

Hit The Bottle Polishes – hitthebottlepolishes.com.auHit The Bottle Indie Polish Facebook Group

Lilypad Lacquer – lilypadlacquer.com

Love Candii Polish – www.lovecandiipolish.com.au – haven’t tried

MckFresh Nail Attire –mckfresh.shop  – Mckfeshies Facebook Group – now closed

Miss Priss Polish – missprisspolish.com

Moonstone Nail Polish – moonstonenailpolish.com – now closed

Powder Perfect – powderperfect.com.au – now closed

Pretty Serious Cosmetics – pretty-serious.com (Aus site) pretty-serious.us (US site) – returning as a new brand soon

Sayuri Nail Lacquer – sayurinaillacquer.com – now closed

Slay Me Beauty (previously SM Nail Polish) – etsy.com/au/shop/SlayMeBeauty – haven’t tried

Shades Of Phoenix – shadesofphoenix.indiemade.com – now closed

Skullique – www.etsy.com/au/shop/Skullique – haven’t tried

Three Hearts Polish – threeheartspolish.bigcartel.com – haven’t tried

Stamping Polish

Emily de Molly – emilydemolly.com.au (Aus site) emilydemolly.com (US site) – Emily de Molly Facebook Fan Group

Stamping Plates

Messy Mansion – messymansion.com.auMessy Mansion Nail Art Stamping Chatter House Facebook Group – now closed

I will try to update this list with new brands and any brands that become active again.

Australian Indie Stamping Nail Polish and Stamping Plates
Australian Indie Stamping Nail Polish and Stamping Plates

I have been too sick to paint my nails for some time now, but I hope to get well enough to do it again soon. You can see my previous nail polish posts by checking out my nails blog post archive. If you want to get my new blog posts sent to your inbox, then sign up to my email list. You can also join the Facebook group called The Australian Indie Polish Appreciation Society to connect with the brands and other Aussie indie nail polish fans. I haven’t tried all the aussie indie polish brands there are out there, so leave a comment if I have missed any active Aussie indie brands that you love. Which brand will you be trying next?

*originally posted October 2016, brands updated February 2021

• Barbara s Friedman 31/01/2017 at 3:59 am

I will be traveling to Australia in April and In The US I use a nail dip that hardens like a gel coat without needing lights and last weeks. Is there anything similar in Australia? Do they do acrylics and gels is Australia?

• Meme 25/06/2017 at 4:40 pm

Crap list

• Verena 12/08/2018 at 10:48 am

Thank you for this list. Just what I have been looking for. I have just bought 2 I scream Nails polishes, but have yet to try them. There is a new polish brand out called RAWW. I have a polish from them and it is very nice. Good formula.

• Emma Walker 15/01/2020 at 11:15 pm

Wow! Nice Blog on Australian Indie Nail Polish. The thoughts are clear and well explained. Thank you for sharing your work, truly worth reading. I am running a Waxing Salon Sydney and understands the importance of Nails care. Keep sharing blogs like this.

• Polished Rainbow 01/08/2020 at 8:19 pm

Why haven’t you included Picture Polish? Arguably the best Aussie brand.

• Alinta McMurdo 02/08/2020 at 6:07 pm

They are in the blog post. I listed them with the boutique brands. They’re a lab made brand who specifically chose not to be associated with Aussie Indie Polish, so they’re boutique.

• santa 31/12/2020 at 10:05 pm

I really love reading your article very nice and very interesting, and it was very informative.

• Nat 26/01/2021 at 11:14 pm

Hi! This is a fantastic list. I keep coming back to it when I want to try something new or be reminded of a brand I have been meaning to try. It made getting into nail polish far less daunting. Thank you so, so much!

Here are just a couple of things I noticed regarding your links:

-The Aree Cosmetics website comes up as “unsafe” in my browser.
    -The Bettie Pain Polish website is unavailable.
    -The MckFresh Nail Attire website is unavailable.
    -The Sayuri Nail Lacquer website redirects to a different website.
    -The Messy Mansion website is not available.

I hope this doesn’t come across as anything other than being helpful. This list has been so useful to me I just felt like I should point it out. 🙂

• Nat 26/01/2021 at 11:36 pm

Oh, and I’m unsure if you’ve heard of them, or what you would categorise them as, but I really like the nail polish brands Julisa and Sienna Byron Bay, too. 🙂 I’m sorry for commenting twice, but I thought I should add that.

• Alinta McMurdo 10/02/2021 at 3:41 pm

Oh and Sienna Byron Bay is boutique but I haven’t looked into Julisa. From the website it seems to be boutique. Boutique Aussie brands are still small brands that are good to support 🙂

• Alinta McMurdo 10/02/2021 at 3:38 pm

Hi Nat,
      Thanks for your comment. I haven’t updated this post in a long time. I will try to find some time to update it soon. Aussie Indies are unfortunately closing quicker than they are opening, but there are a couple of new ones I can add.
      I’m glad you’re using the list 🙂

What is a sustainable product? I have spent months thinking about this and what I want to write and on my blog and post about here. There is no easy answer to this. Just when considering greenhouse emissions for a company alone, it’s immensely complicated. There was a good article in nature recently going over how Microsoft are trying to achieve net zero, but most companies don’t have the means that Microsoft does. Most companies rely on carbon offsets, which is often planting trees (problematic solution in itself), rather than ensuring their business has no emissions at all. And they don’t take into consideration all the emissions that occur from suppliers and freight of suppliers etc. Then there is the problem of waste. Ideally, I don’t want there to be any permanent waste to occur from any product I buy, but that’s certainly not the case. Most beauty products can’t even be recycled in curb-side recycling bins. I would preferably want my products to be biodegradable, refillable at home, or reused and refilled by the company so that there is no waste. However, I don’t know of an actual solution that encompasses those criteria for some things - like vegan makeup brush hairs as seen with eco tools brushes. I do prioritise this lower than single use plastic, as I get many years of use from makeup brushes. But it’s just another level of complexity that I’ve tried to figure out. So in saying all that, I don’t have the solution or a perfect company or product to talk about as I don’t know of one. I do however intend to support and share about the companies who are trying to be more sustainable. I hope that in supporting them, we will get to a point where companies can fit my ideal criteria. I would like to write a blog post on this but that requires more energy than I have right now - I would however love to hear your thoughts on sustainable products. What is a sustainable product to you? Eco tools was actually the first big company I ever noticed that was promoting eco beauty. It’s interesting how much has changed since then.
*press sample  #lovealinta #sustainablebeauty #sustainablebrand #ecobeauty #ethicalbeauty #ecotools

What is a sustainable product? I have spent months thinking about this and what I want to write and on my blog and post about here. There is no easy answer to this. Just when considering greenhouse emissions for a company alone, it’s immensely complicated. There was a good article in nature recently going over how Microsoft are trying to achieve net zero, but most companies don’t have the means that Microsoft does. Most companies rely on carbon offsets, which is often planting trees (problematic solution in itself), rather than ensuring their business has no emissions at all. And they don’t take into consideration all the emissions that occur from suppliers and freight of suppliers etc. Then there is the problem of waste. Ideally, I don’t want there to be any permanent waste to occur from any product I buy, but that’s certainly not the case. Most beauty products can’t even be recycled in curb-side recycling bins. I would preferably want my products to be biodegradable, refillable at home, or reused and refilled by the company so that there is no waste. However, I don’t know of an actual solution that encompasses those criteria for some things – like vegan makeup brush hairs as seen with eco tools brushes. I do prioritise this lower than single use plastic, as I get many years of use from makeup brushes. But it’s just another level of complexity that I’ve tried to figure out. So in saying all that, I don’t have the solution or a perfect company or product to talk about as I don’t know of one. I do however intend to support and share about the companies who are trying to be more sustainable. I hope that in supporting them, we will get to a point where companies can fit my ideal criteria. I would like to write a blog post on this but that requires more energy than I have right now – I would however love to hear your thoughts on sustainable products. What is a sustainable product to you? Eco tools was actually the first big company I ever noticed that was promoting eco beauty. It’s interesting how much has changed since then.
    *press sample #lovealinta #sustainablebeauty #sustainablebrand #ecobeauty #ethicalbeauty #ecotools

2 weeks ago
    Since the IPCC report was released on Monday I’ve seen a lot of people expressing how overwhelmed and helpless they feel about climate change. These feelings are absolutely valid. The situation we’re in is dire. The report confirmed that we are currently experiencing the effects of climate change which can be seen in the increase in extreme weather events. We’re currently sitting at 1.1 degrees and we will well overshoot 1.5 degrees by the end of the century if nothing changes. This will cause widespread suffering, death and destruction for humans, animals and ecosystems.
But there is good news. We know what the problem is and we know the solution. We can avoid the worst case scenario if we act now. De-carbonising the economy needs to be our top priority, we simply cannot rely on fossil fuels any longer. The most important thing you can do is to get involved and apply political pressure. That means voting for the people with the best climate policies, emailing your local representative, going to climate protests, physically blocking new fossil fuel infrastructure, telling everyone you know to also act - whatever it is you can do to make change, do it.
Australia was recently ranked last on climate action against 193 other UN member nations. This cannot continue. COP 26 is around the corner so speak up, tell the Aus gov that you want climate action now. I know many of you don’t have a degree about climate change like I do, so I’ve tried to make this simple and give you examples of what to do, and I’m happy to go into more detail or explain anything you don’t understand, just ask. Do your best to be informed and be prepared to fight for a better future. It will be worth it for every life, species and ecosystem that can be saved.
Picture from a Bloomberg article of a graph showing world average temp over 2000 years with obvious uptick since 1850. Title saying heat spike.
#climatechange #climateaction #ipcc #ipccreport #lovealinta

But there is good news. We know what the problem is and we know the solution. We can avoid the worst case scenario if we act now. De-carbonising the economy needs to be our top priority, we simply cannot rely on fossil fuels any longer. The most important thing you can do is to get involved and apply political pressure. That means voting for the people with the best climate policies, emailing your local representative, going to climate protests, physically blocking new fossil fuel infrastructure, telling everyone you know to also act – whatever it is you can do to make change, do it.
    #climatechange #climateaction #ipcc #ipccreport #lovealinta

With Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane all In lockdown, I thought a cute pup picture in your feed might be appreciated. You can swipe to see a cute video of a scruffy puppy Kobi not long after he came into care as a foster dog - he found himself in the pound at 3 months of age.
Kobi was probably thinking about food in this photo because he is a bit obsessed with eating. He will even happily eat dirt - I’ve had to clean dirt off his chin far too often lately (don’t worry the vet says there’s nothing wrong with him, he’s just gluttonous). His favourite method for dirt eating is face planting straight onto the ground. It’s certainly an interesting technique.
Thanks to everyone who checked in on me. I’m hoping my recent iron infusion will help me to feel less like one foot is in the grave but only time will tell.
Leave a comment to let me know what silly things your pets or kids have been up to lately so we can all have a laugh 😊
Picture of a white and grey dog looking at the camera and licking his nose.
#rescuedog #rescuedogs #dogsofmelbourne #lovealinta

With Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane all In lockdown, I thought a cute pup picture in your feed might be appreciated. You can swipe to see a cute video of a scruffy puppy Kobi not long after he came into care as a foster dog – he found himself in the pound at 3 months of age.
    Kobi was probably thinking about food in this photo because he is a bit obsessed with eating. He will even happily eat dirt – I’ve had to clean dirt off his chin far too often lately (don’t worry the vet says there’s nothing wrong with him, he’s just gluttonous). His favourite method for dirt eating is face planting straight onto the ground. It’s certainly an interesting technique.
    Picture of a white and grey dog looking at the camera and licking his nose.
    #rescuedog #rescuedogs #dogsofmelbourne #lovealinta

It’s been 6.5 weeks since my first Pfizer vaccination and 3.5 since my second, but I still feel like death warmed up. This isn’t surprising. My immunologist, GP and I all knew I would suffer, but that doesn’t make it easier to deal with. This isn’t a covid vaccine specific reaction, I react to all vaccines in the same way. I was out of action for 2 weeks after my meningococcal vaccine last December and most people don’t have any problems with that vax. My vaccine reactions are specific to only me, because of my unique immune deficiencies. My immunologist has never come across anyone else with the combination of immune deficiencies that I have. Unfortunately, one of my worse deficiencies is that of Memory B Cells, which means I don’t make immunity to many vaccines, and when I do, it doesn’t last for long. I still get vaccinated despite this, because it matters. So the point of this post - please get your covid vaccination when you are eligible to. Many vulnerable people like myself are relying on herd immunity and we’re just not going to get there if everyone doesn’t do their part. I didn’t get a pretty sticker but the potential of covid antibodies is better than any sticker.

It’s been 6.5 weeks since my first Pfizer vaccination and 3.5 since my second, but I still feel like death warmed up. This isn’t surprising. My immunologist, GP and I all knew I would suffer, but that doesn’t make it easier to deal with. This isn’t a covid vaccine specific reaction, I react to all vaccines in the same way. I was out of action for 2 weeks after my meningococcal vaccine last December and most people don’t have any problems with that vax. My vaccine reactions are specific to only me, because of my unique immune deficiencies. My immunologist has never come across anyone else with the combination of immune deficiencies that I have. Unfortunately, one of my worse deficiencies is that of Memory B Cells, which means I don’t make immunity to many vaccines, and when I do, it doesn’t last for long. I still get vaccinated despite this, because it matters. So the point of this post – please get your covid vaccination when you are eligible to. Many vulnerable people like myself are relying on herd immunity and we’re just not going to get there if everyone doesn’t do their part. I didn’t get a pretty sticker but the potential of covid antibodies is better than any sticker.

I think I’ve made it pretty obvious that I care about Indigenous rights as well as the environment. So I am particularly interested in how Indigenous people want to combat climate change because climate change action desperately needs to be decolonised.

Pic description – white lined notebook on black background with handwriting that says First Nations People’s and Earth Based Governance.

Here are the ring details as promised. I think you all knew that my ring was going to be ethical in some way. It wouldn’t be me otherwise, would it? I’ve followed @ethicaljewelleryaustralia for years now, so I’ve known for a long time that I would want them to make a ring for me. It’s something that I will be wearing everyday, so I want it to represent my values. So the ring is handmade by #EthicalJewelleryAustralia in the design I wanted. It’s a round diamond with a four prongs that look like little petals. It’s made with recycled platinum and a lab diamond. Diamond and metal mining have a lot of negative social and environmental impacts, plus a lab diamond is far more affordable than a traditionally mined diamond, which means you can reduce your impact on people, the planet and your hip pocket. I hope lab grown diamonds are the choice of the future, as it is far better for human rights and the environment to make a diamond in a lab using renewable energy, than it is to mine them from the ground, using fossil fuels and unethical labor - just look into blood diamonds if you want to know how bad it can get. I also plan on trying to have a more ethical wedding too. I’ve already found a carbon neutral venue, but I’ve got lots of research to do on everything else. Let me know if you have any ideas for a sustainable wedding.

Here are the ring details as promised. I think you all knew that my ring was going to be ethical in some way. It wouldn’t be me otherwise, would it? I’ve followed @ethicaljewelleryaustralia for years now, so I’ve known for a long time that I would want them to make a ring for me. It’s something that I will be wearing everyday, so I want it to represent my values. So the ring is handmade by #EthicalJewelleryAustralia in the design I wanted. It’s a round diamond with a four prongs that look like little petals. It’s made with recycled platinum and a lab diamond. Diamond and metal mining have a lot of negative social and environmental impacts, plus a lab diamond is far more affordable than a traditionally mined diamond, which means you can reduce your impact on people, the planet and your hip pocket. I hope lab grown diamonds are the choice of the future, as it is far better for human rights and the environment to make a diamond in a lab using renewable energy, than it is to mine them from the ground, using fossil fuels and unethical labor – just look into blood diamonds if you want to know how bad it can get. I also plan on trying to have a more ethical wedding too. I’ve already found a carbon neutral venue, but I’ve got lots of research to do on everything else. Let me know if you have any ideas for a sustainable wedding.

With it being #EarthDay, I thought I would share some on my sustainable cleaning products. Everyone has to clean, but supermarket cleaning products don’t tend to be very eco-friendly. Here I’ve got my @ecomaxbrushes Bottle brush which is made from coconut waste products and can be composted at the end of its life – it will just leave the wire which can be recycled. There’s my Safix biodegradable scrub pad made from organic coconut fibers which can be composted when you are finished with it. And @retrokitchenaustralia biodegradable dish cloth in a cute dog print. It’s made from cotton and cellulose and can be composted when worn out. I use them with the @koalaeco Natural Multipurpose Kitchen Cleaner which is cruelty free, vegan and palm oil free and comes in 100% post consumer recycled bottles that can be recyclable when finished. I get the big refill bottles and just fill up my spray bottle. I bought all the above from @floraandfaunaau and they’re actually having 15% off eco items today, so all of these are discounted. Don’t forget to use my #floraandfaunaau affiliate code on my blog if you ever make a purchase, it helps me out. There’s lots of other ways to make regular household chores better for the environment. It can feel overwhelming to charge, but just start with small steps. When one product runs out you can replace it with a more sustainable option. One of the last things I need to change is is my laundry detergent so I’m thinking I’ll try @thedirtcompany one. I would love to hear what you think of their products if you’ve tried them. Also let know what eco swaps you’ve made in your home so that I can get more ideas. #EcoSwaps #LoveAlinta

I have some news. I’m engaged! As a kid/teen I never thought this would happen as I didn’t believe in love - then I got sick and worried that no one would see past my illnesses. But I have found someone who loves me for me, faults, illnesses and all and I can’t wait to marry him.

I have some news. I’m engaged! As a kid/teen I never thought this would happen as I didn’t believe in love – then I got sick and worried that no one would see past my illnesses. But I have found someone who loves me for me, faults, illnesses and all and I can’t wait to marry him.