Guide To Australian Indie Nail Polish

04/09/2019

I frequently get asked about what I think the best nail polish brands are. I always tell people to try Australian indie nail polishes as they are great quality and are small businesses often run by one person, so they need the money more than the big companies do. They are all cruelty free and the majority are vegan friendly, or have vegan items available. The thing I like best about indies is that the polish is unique, you will never find the glitters, holos and glass flecks of indies in mainstream polishes – plus you can also get amazing cremes and shimmers from indie brands too. People often ask me where to find indie polishes, so I am writing a list of Aussie indie nail polish brands that are currently open. That way you will always have a list to refer to when you want to try a new indie polish brand.

Australian Indie Nail Polish Brands
Australian Indie Nail Polish Brands

Before I get into the list, I just wanted to touch on some definitions. The main nail polish brands that you will know about are mainstream brands. Mainstream brands are well known, mass produced, and widely available in stores and online. Some cruelty free mainstream brands include China Glaze, Zoya, Color Club, ORLY, Barry M, Butter London, Nubar and Ulta3. Plus there are cruelty free mainstream cosmetic brands that have a nail polish line like Australis, Natio, Face Of Australia, ELF and Pacifica. Some mainstream brands that aren’t cruelty free include OPI, Essie, Sally Hansen and Sinful Colors, plus cosmetic companies like Revlon, L’Oreal, Maybelline, Wet N Wild Beauty, Rimmel etc. Then there are much smaller brands that aren’t as well known or as widely available, and they are called boutique brands. Some Australian boutique brands include Kester Black, Picture Polish, I Scream Nails, Sienna Byron Bay, and Sea Siren Cosmetics, as well as the cosmetic brands Hanami Cosmetics and Ere Perez Cosmetics (all cruelty free). These brands are still small Aussie brands, so they’re worth supporting too, just not classified as an Indie. Indie polish brands which are small family owned businesses that pride themselves on having a close relationship with their customers. You will find indies very active on social media and always connecting with customers and asking for their opinions and input. Many indies are handmade and the nail polish is mixed in very small batches. However, there is a brand called Pretty Serious that have only lab made polishes but many in the Aussie indie polish community still count this brand as an indie as they treat their customers with the same care that indies do, as opposed to boutique brands that have less interaction with their customer base. There is one brand that I am unsure of where to place, called Joss, as it is manufactured by the company that supplies many of the nail polish making supplies to Australian Indie brands. You can check out their website – beautyworld.com.au (previously nailsuperstore.com.au) to see the Joss nail polish range and their variety of nail polish making supplies.

Aussie Indie Nail Polishes
Aussie Indie Nail Polishes

Indie polishes are mainly available online, with each brand having their own individual website. Some indies do the occasional craft market and there are stockists that stock multiple indie brands, like the Femme Fatale Cosmetics website. I have tried most of these indie brands, and therefore know that they are making good quality products. I’ll leave a note next to the brands I haven’t tried yet. Each brand has their own style, so check each website, look on social media and find blog reviews so that you can see the range of amazing products available from each brand. I have had this list running for a long time now, and many of the brands originally on the list have closed down, I have left them on the list, but crossed out, so that you can look up what they once made – you might be able to find some of their products in destashes online. Below you will find each brand listed in alphabetical order with each website so you can get to them easily. Some brands have multiple websites for different locations, and I have linked some to their Facebook fan group if they have one. Aussie Indie Polish fan groups are a great place to interact with the owner of the brand and other fans of the brand. I have also included stamping polish and stamping plates for those of you interested in nail art. Some brands are 3 free and some are 5 free (or more), and some brands have certain vegan products with other brands being all vegan, you will need to check for the details on each individual website.

Australian Indie Nail Polish Brands

Aree Cosmetics – areecosmetics.com – haven’t tried – now closed?

Bella Bella Nail Couture – bellabellenailcouture.bigcartel.com

Bettie Pain Polish – bettiepain.com.au – On hiatus

Celestial Cosmetics – celestialcosmetics.com.au – now closed

Emily de Molly – emilydemolly.com.au (Aus site) emilydemolly.com (US site) – Emily de Molly Facebook Fan Group

Femme Fatale Cosmetics – femmefatalecosmetics.com.auFemme Fatale Fiends Facebook Group

Galivanting Nails – gallivantingnails.com.au – haven’t tried

Glam Polish – glampolish.com.auGlam Polish Fans Facebook Group

Grace-Full Nail Polish – gracefullnailpolish.com.au (Aus site) gracefullnailpolish.com (US site) – Grace-full Nail Polish Facebook Fan Group

Hit The Bottle Polishes – hitthebottlepolishes.com.auHit The Bottle Indie Polish Facebook Group

Lilypad Lacquer – lilypadlacquer.com

Love Candii Polish – www.lovecandiipolish.com.au – haven’t tried

MckFresh Nail Attire –mckfresh.shop  – Mckfeshies Facebook Group – now closed

Miss Priss Polish – missprisspolish.com

Moonstone Nail Polish – moonstonenailpolish.com – now closed

Powder Perfect – powderperfect.com.au – now closed

Pretty Serious Cosmetics – pretty-serious.com (Aus site) pretty-serious.us (US site) – returning as a new brand soon

Sayuri Nail Lacquer – sayurinaillacquer.com – now closed

Slay Me Beauty (previously SM Nail Polish) – etsy.com/au/shop/SlayMeBeauty – haven’t tried

Shades Of Phoenix – shadesofphoenix.indiemade.com – now closed

Skullique – www.etsy.com/au/shop/Skullique – haven’t tried

Three Hearts Polish – threeheartspolish.bigcartel.com – haven’t tried

Stamping Polish

Emily de Molly – emilydemolly.com.au (Aus site) emilydemolly.com (US site) – Emily de Molly Facebook Fan Group

Stamping Plates

Messy Mansion – messymansion.com.auMessy Mansion Nail Art Stamping Chatter House Facebook Group – now closed

I will try to update this list with new brands and any brands that become active again.

Australian Indie Stamping Nail Polish and Stamping Plates
Australian Indie Stamping Nail Polish and Stamping Plates

I have been too sick to paint my nails for some time now, but I hope to get well enough to do it again soon. You can see my previous nail polish posts by checking out my nails blog post archive. If you want to get my new blog posts sent to your inbox, then sign up to my email list. You can also join the Facebook group called The Australian Indie Polish Appreciation Society to connect with the brands and other Aussie indie nail polish fans. I haven’t tried all the aussie indie polish brands there are out there, so leave a comment if I have missed any active Aussie indie brands that you love. Which brand will you be trying next?

*originally posted October 2016, brands updated February 2021

• Barbara s Friedman 31/01/2017 at 3:59 am

I will be traveling to Australia in April and In The US I use a nail dip that hardens like a gel coat without needing lights and last weeks. Is there anything similar in Australia? Do they do acrylics and gels is Australia?

• Meme 25/06/2017 at 4:40 pm

Crap list

• Verena 12/08/2018 at 10:48 am

Thank you for this list. Just what I have been looking for. I have just bought 2 I scream Nails polishes, but have yet to try them. There is a new polish brand out called RAWW. I have a polish from them and it is very nice. Good formula.

• Emma Walker 15/01/2020 at 11:15 pm

Wow! Nice Blog on Australian Indie Nail Polish. The thoughts are clear and well explained. Thank you for sharing your work, truly worth reading. I am running a Waxing Salon Sydney and understands the importance of Nails care. Keep sharing blogs like this.

• Polished Rainbow 01/08/2020 at 8:19 pm

Why haven’t you included Picture Polish? Arguably the best Aussie brand.

• Alinta McMurdo 02/08/2020 at 6:07 pm

They are in the blog post. I listed them with the boutique brands. They’re a lab made brand who specifically chose not to be associated with Aussie Indie Polish, so they’re boutique.

• santa 31/12/2020 at 10:05 pm

I really love reading your article very nice and very interesting, and it was very informative.

• Nat 26/01/2021 at 11:14 pm

Hi! This is a fantastic list. I keep coming back to it when I want to try something new or be reminded of a brand I have been meaning to try. It made getting into nail polish far less daunting. Thank you so, so much!

Here are just a couple of things I noticed regarding your links:

-The Aree Cosmetics website comes up as “unsafe” in my browser.
    -The Bettie Pain Polish website is unavailable.
    -The MckFresh Nail Attire website is unavailable.
    -The Sayuri Nail Lacquer website redirects to a different website.
    -The Messy Mansion website is not available.

I hope this doesn’t come across as anything other than being helpful. This list has been so useful to me I just felt like I should point it out. 🙂

• Nat 26/01/2021 at 11:36 pm

Oh, and I’m unsure if you’ve heard of them, or what you would categorise them as, but I really like the nail polish brands Julisa and Sienna Byron Bay, too. 🙂 I’m sorry for commenting twice, but I thought I should add that.

• Alinta McMurdo 10/02/2021 at 3:41 pm

Oh and Sienna Byron Bay is boutique but I haven’t looked into Julisa. From the website it seems to be boutique. Boutique Aussie brands are still small brands that are good to support 🙂

• Alinta McMurdo 10/02/2021 at 3:38 pm

Hi Nat,
      Thanks for your comment. I haven’t updated this post in a long time. I will try to find some time to update it soon. Aussie Indies are unfortunately closing quicker than they are opening, but there are a couple of new ones I can add.
      I’m glad you’re using the list 🙂

#earthday #climateactionnow #lovealinta
    ‘If you were going to pick a continent that is the worst possible place for human beings to live in the face of climate change it would be Australia.’ Prof Michael Mann, Climate Scientist at Pennsylvania State University, on ABC Four Corners. Today is Earth Day so it is a good time to remember that we’re in a climate crisis. You are seeing the impacts of climate change all around you right now, but the worst is still to come - we need to act fast. There are things we can do as individuals to live more sustainably like flying less, driving less, buying less, eating less meat etc. There are however some things that governments need to accomplish, and that will not happen unless you put pressure on them to do so. That means getting out there and protesting, mailing MPs, joining climate movements, and for Australians, that means voting for the climate in the federal election next month. The recent IPCC report has given the world three years to act. That makes your vote this election more important than ever. Governments around the world need to work together to deliver massive reductions in greenhouse gas emissions, but Australia is just not pulling its weight. Our government has no plans to phase out coal and is in fact planning on digging up more. Australia is the second biggest coal exporter in the world. This cannot continue if we want to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. Demand that the government keeps fossil fuels in the ground. Australia’s current climate policy is atrocious, but the election is coming, so you can do something about that. Please vote for the climate and don’t stop fighting once the election is over. Climate action is needed now, and every single one of your voices is needed to ensure that happens. #earthday #climateactionnow #lovealinta
    1 month ago
Cake @katscakesmelbourne
Rings @ethicaljewelleryaustralia
Dress @madilanebridal
Dress boutique @luvbridal
Dress alterations @seamworks.au
Prop hire @twilightglamping
    I promised the wedding vendor details and then forgot to follow through, so here they are. Photography @rick_liston Venue including food @yarravalleyestate Hair and makeup artist @nicolegroch_hairmakeup Celebrant @ceremonieswithsarah Flowers @lilacandthecat Cake @katscakesmelbourne Rings @ethicaljewelleryaustralia Dress @madilanebridal Dress boutique @luvbridal Dress alterations @seamworks.au Prop hire @twilightglamping If you know me, you’ll know I tried to make my wedding as ethical as possible. I think just about everything but the dress was ethical or sustainable in some way. My hmua, #NicoleGroch is so talented and she only uses cruelty free and vegan products. The venue, #YarraValleyEstate, is sustainably focused, they have solar panels, are carbon neutral and were happy to go along with all my sustainable ideas. All our food was vegan and vegetarian, we were going to do just vegan but I compromised and did the mix to stop family getting upset (but that happened anyway so I should have just gone with vegan). Our veg cake from #katscakesmelbourne had vegan and gluten free cupcakes with it so everyone could enjoy some cake. The flowers were from the sustainable florist #lilacandthecat who uses local blooms and no plastic/cellophane/floral foam etc. The rings from #ethicaljewelleryaustralia are made with lab diamonds and recycled platinum. As you can see, the photos were amazing. #RickListon is a local to the Yarra valley and is truly amazing at what he does. Continued in comments …
    1 month ago
#weddingday #lovealinta
    I have been MIA for a while, but that’s because I have some news … I got married on the 22/02/2022. When I was a kid I always knew I wanted children myself, but I never thought I would get married. To be fair, I’m still not a big fan of weddings as a lot of the traditions are steeped in misogyny and the oppression of women, but I changed/cut out some of the parts that made me the most uncomfortable. In another world I would happily continue living the rest of my life with my partner and not get married, but we unfortunately live in a world where having a husband makes getting appropriate health care easier. I do plan on continuing to fight the sexism and ableism of the health care system, but sometimes I need a break, and having a husband will make that easier for me. Anyway, now that I have told you the realities of the situation (because it would feel like a lie if I didn’t include that), I can tell you that we had a small covid safe wedding with those closest to us. We got to celebrate our love and see our families which we haven’t been able to do for the past 2 years. The day was so relaxed and I had such a wonderful time. And because it was so small, those there completely understood how necessary the covid protocols were that we had in place. Since then, I’ve been back home in isolation again. Trying to wait out the virus so I don’t become another casualty. But I’m glad that I got to celebrate this milestone in my life, especially because it meant seeing loved ones. And obviously because it’s me, I tried to make my wedding as ethical as possible so I’ll post some of that info in another post but I have to give credit to our wonderful photographer @rick_liston. If you need a Yarra Valley photographer check him out, he’s amazing. #weddingday #lovealinta

#alwayswasalwayswillbe #invasionday

Image 3: Frontier War sites by University of Newcastle.

#alwayswasalwayswillbe #invasionday

Image 3: Frontier War sites by University of Newcastle.

#alwayswasalwayswillbe #invasionday

Image 3: Frontier War sites by University of Newcastle.
    Reminder - we don’t celebrate genocide around here. It is horrendous that there is a public holiday to celebrate the colonization of Australia. Australia Day needs to be abolished. If you don’t understand why, please read all the detailed information that has been put online for free by many amazing Indigenous creators. Show up for them and support them. I also recommend listening to the Frontier War Stories podcast so that you hear some real stories. Oh, and before anyone says anything about “tradition” - Aus day has only been celebrated on the 26th since 1994. Whereas in 1938 Indigenous Elders called for a day of mourning on the 26th of Jan. There is no tradition here, and there is no celebrating invasion, colonization, dispossession and genocide. Indigenous people continue to be oppressed, so please show up for them tomorrow (and every day). @nitv_au has a good round up of all events happening tomorrow. Because of case numbers, nothing in person is happening in Narrm (Melbourne) but there is an online dawn service starting at 5:15am being run by the Vic NAIDOC Committee. #alwayswasalwayswillbe #invasionday Image 1: Just a reminder we don’t celebrate genocide graphic by @sar.ra__ (check out her other artwork). Image 2: stylized version of @aiatsis_ map - they sell hard copies of the original you can buy. Image 3: Frontier War sites by University of Newcastle.
@ultravioletteau #ultravioletteau #lovealinta
    Ultraviolette recently released their Dream Screen skin tint. As I’ve explained previously, sunscreen is very important to me. Skin cancer is prominent in my family and I’m even fairer than the my other family members. I can get burnt within minutes of being in the sun, so I am always wearing sunscreen (and avoiding the sun) to try and prevent future skin cancer. The reason why this interested me is because it’s SPF 50 and it has a sheer dewy finish. I typically wear a bb/cc cream with SPF, but I always have to add so much white to it, making the SPF negligible. I can however actually wear Dream Screen in shade V1 without adding white, which is awesome. I use my Supreme Screen underneath, and then layer Dream Screen on top and they work well together. It’s important to remember to wear a base layer of sunscreen, as you’re unlikely to put enough of a tinted product on to get the labeled SPF coverage. The finish is a bit too dewy for me, so I use a little bit of translucent powder over the top, and then I’m good to go. The packaging is interesting. It’s a squeeze tube which makes it easy to use, but probably very hard to recycle. Dream Screen comes in 11 shades and is vegan. Ultraviolette is cruelty free but I really want to see them Leaping Bunny certified. I’ve got all of their sunscreens so I can post swatches of them, or do a video showing application if that interests anyone. Whatever helps you to wear more sunscreen, I’m willing to do 😬 Photo description - beige ultraviolette bottle laying in plain black background with ultraviolette products surrounding it. @ultravioletteau #ultravioletteau #lovealinta
#chihuahua #rescuedog #adoptdontshop #lovealinta
    It’s Bonsai’s 9th birthday today. The vet is unsure how many more birthdays he’s going to get, so I’m giving him as much love as possible while he’s here. We got the news last month that his heart is failing, which is just another health problem my poor little guy has to deal with. He’s on lots of meds to reduce the symptoms, but there’s no way of slowing down heart failure for him. I thought I would get another 10 years together with him (being a chihuahua and all), so knowing his time is limited has been tough. He however has no idea he’s sick and is just as happy and silly as always. His weird antics continue to make me laugh every day, which is why I also wanted to remind you all to adopt your next pet - and don’t discount the sick or disabled ones, they can be amazing pets too. Picture description - close up of blonde chihuahua looking at the camera with his tongue out and folded over. #chihuahua #rescuedog #adoptdontshop #lovealinta
*press sample  #lovealinta #sustainablebeauty #sustainablebrand #ecobeauty #ethicalbeauty #ecotools
    What is a sustainable product? I have spent months thinking about this and what I want to write and on my blog and post about here. There is no easy answer to this. Just when considering greenhouse emissions for a company alone, it’s immensely complicated. There was a good article in nature recently going over how Microsoft are trying to achieve net zero, but most companies don’t have the means that Microsoft does. Most companies rely on carbon offsets, which is often planting trees (problematic solution in itself), rather than ensuring their business has no emissions at all. And they don’t take into consideration all the emissions that occur from suppliers and freight of suppliers etc. Then there is the problem of waste. Ideally, I don’t want there to be any permanent waste to occur from any product I buy, but that’s certainly not the case. Most beauty products can’t even be recycled in curb-side recycling bins. I would preferably want my products to be biodegradable, refillable at home, or reused and refilled by the company so that there is no waste. However, I don’t know of an actual solution that encompasses those criteria for some things - like vegan makeup brush hairs as seen with eco tools brushes. I do prioritise this lower than single use plastic, as I get many years of use from makeup brushes. But it’s just another level of complexity that I’ve tried to figure out. So in saying all that, I don’t have the solution or a perfect company or product to talk about as I don’t know of one. I do however intend to support and share about the companies who are trying to be more sustainable. I hope that in supporting them, we will get to a point where companies can fit my ideal criteria. I would like to write a blog post on this but that requires more energy than I have right now - I would however love to hear your thoughts on sustainable products. What is a sustainable product to you? Eco tools was actually the first big company I ever noticed that was promoting eco beauty. It’s interesting how much has changed since then. *press sample #lovealinta #sustainablebeauty #sustainablebrand #ecobeauty #ethicalbeauty #ecotools
#climatechange #climateaction #ipcc #ipccreport #lovealinta
    Since the IPCC report was released on Monday I’ve seen a lot of people expressing how overwhelmed and helpless they feel about climate change. These feelings are absolutely valid. The situation we’re in is dire. The report confirmed that we are currently experiencing the effects of climate change which can be seen in the increase in extreme weather events. We’re currently sitting at 1.1 degrees and we will well overshoot 1.5 degrees by the end of the century if nothing changes. This will cause widespread suffering, death and destruction for humans, animals and ecosystems. But there is good news. We know what the problem is and we know the solution. We can avoid the worst case scenario if we act now. De-carbonising the economy needs to be our top priority, we simply cannot rely on fossil fuels any longer. The most important thing you can do is to get involved and apply political pressure. That means voting for the people with the best climate policies, emailing your local representative, going to climate protests, physically blocking new fossil fuel infrastructure, telling everyone you know to also act - whatever it is you can do to make change, do it. Australia was recently ranked last on climate action against 193 other UN member nations. This cannot continue. COP 26 is around the corner so speak up, tell the Aus gov that you want climate action now. I know many of you don’t have a degree about climate change like I do, so I’ve tried to make this simple and give you examples of what to do, and I’m happy to go into more detail or explain anything you don’t understand, just ask. Do your best to be informed and be prepared to fight for a better future. It will be worth it for every life, species and ecosystem that can be saved. Picture from a Bloomberg article of a graph showing world average temp over 2000 years with obvious uptick since 1850. Title saying heat spike. #climatechange #climateaction #ipcc #ipccreport #lovealinta
Picture of a white and grey dog looking at the camera and licking his nose.
#rescuedog #rescuedogs #dogsofmelbourne #lovealinta
    With Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane all In lockdown, I thought a cute pup picture in your feed might be appreciated. You can swipe to see a cute video of a scruffy puppy Kobi not long after he came into care as a foster dog - he found himself in the pound at 3 months of age. Kobi was probably thinking about food in this photo because he is a bit obsessed with eating. He will even happily eat dirt - I’ve had to clean dirt off his chin far too often lately (don’t worry the vet says there’s nothing wrong with him, he’s just gluttonous). His favourite method for dirt eating is face planting straight onto the ground. It’s certainly an interesting technique. Thanks to everyone who checked in on me. I’m hoping my recent iron infusion will help me to feel less like one foot is in the grave but only time will tell. Leave a comment to let me know what silly things your pets or kids have been up to lately so we can all have a laugh 😊 Picture of a white and grey dog looking at the camera and licking his nose. #rescuedog #rescuedogs #dogsofmelbourne #lovealinta